NOW IN THEATERS...
* Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), the much-hyped superhero meta-movie with Michael Keaton taking on the role of a disgraced actor post-franchise. There's something not quite right about this one.
* Citizenfour, a film about Edward Snowden that also serves as a powerful historical document. A definite must-see.
* Eternity: The Movie, a musical comedy about a Hall & Oates-like duo in the 1980s, and one of the worst movies I've seen this year.
* Nightcrawler, a phenomenal performance by Jake Gyllenhaal is almost enough to save this hollow motion picture.
Oh, and film related, I also reviewed the book De Niro: A Life by Shawn Levy. It's a great read, with lots of backstage talk and insight on how De Niro's best and worst roles came to be.
WATCH IT AT HOME...
* Hangmen Also Die, a gripping World War II thriller from master director Fritz Lang.
* La dolce vita, Fellini's masterpiece shined up and polished and looking better than ever.
* Sundays and Cybele, a surprising drama about the relationship between a troubled man and a needy little girl. The 1961 winner of the Best Foreign Language Oscar.
Current Soundtrack: Ex Hex, Rips