NOW IN THEATERS...
* Boyhood, Richard Linklater's phenomenal chronicle of one boy growing up, filmed over the course of twelve years.
* Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, a sequel that bests the original. All-ape action!
* Slaughter Nick for President, in which an early '90s TV star discovers he's a folk hero in Serbia. The Searching for Sugarman of schlock TV.
Also, in revival at the Laurelhurst Theater & Pub this week, Mel Brooks' Hitchcock parody High Anxiety. It hasn't aged well, alas.
WATCH IT AT HOME...
* Caught, a moody melodrama from the master Max Ophüls.
* Kissing Jessica Stein, a well-meaning throwback to the early '00s.
* The Lost Moment, a bizarre love triangle of sorts, based on a Henry James story, with a marvelous performance from Susan Hayward. A good double-bill with the Ophüls film.
Current Soundtrack: Damon Albarn, live on French TV